Large-scale Base Map of The Netherlands (GBKN)
The Large-scale Base Map of The Netherlands (GBKN, Grootschalige Basiskaart Nederland) is the best detailed topographical base map of The Netherlands. In built-in areas, the scale is 1:500 or 1:1,000 and in rural areas 1:2,000. The map is available for the whole Netherlands and it is comparable and exchangeable thanks to a clearly described minimal content and precision.
The dataset consists of lines showing the boundaries of visible natural and artificial characteristics of the field:
- hard topography such as buildings, bridges, power pylons
- soft topography such as the boundaries of roads, ditches, continuous overgrowth
- street names and house numbers
In general, the elements are coded according to the LKI-classification (Surveying and Cartographic Information System). A distinction has been made by main groups, such as built-in areas and asphalting.
The GBKN can be used for presenting and consulting essential topographical base information, urban development and civil-technical designs. The GBKN offers the possibility of linking administrative data to the map and representing them thematically.
The GBKN is widely used by telecom companies, water district boards, municipalities, earthmoving companies, fire brigades, architects, engineering companies, housing corporations, waterworks, project developers, etcetera.
On Line Base Map (BKOL)
The GBKN can be purchased from Geodan in the form of vector data; besides, there is an On Line Base Map (BKOL, Basiskaart On Line). This is a hosting service that offers the GBKN. This way, the user can directly display the data as a raster image in his GIS, website or viewer without having to actually purchase the data. Through geoserver.nl, Geodanís portal for on line geographical map services, it is possible to access the On Line Base Map.
Four important reasons for considering the BKOL:
- Low cost, users only pay for actually used data
- Up-to-date, the data are on one server, which means users always access the most up-to-date data
- No plug-ins or extensions, through an OpenGIS call, the data can be easily integrated into the GIS, the website or the viewer
- Immediately available, the data do not have to be ordered. As soon as you have created an account on Geoserver.nl, you can immediately access the data
from Ä 100 (differs by region)